Monday, September 1, 2008

Thiago Alves interview


Thiago “Pitbull” Alves
By Guilherme Cruz
"I’m looking forward to exchange some punches with Sanchez, to show him the difference between a Striker and somebody that just learned it now"


The most natural destiny for Thiago “Pitbull” Alves after the impressing knockout against Matt Hughes is a titleshot, but after that he’ll have to prove his talent one more time against a tough opponent: Diego Sanchez. “I’m preparing something different (for Sanchez). He developed his stand-up game, I’m looking forward to exchange some punches with him, to show him the difference between a Striker and somebody that just learned it now”, said Pitbull. In an exclusive interview to TATAME, that you’ll read here tomorrow, the ATT athlete spoke about the fight, the next match (if wins) against St. Pierre and a dream fight against BJ Penn, and a lot more. Check tomorrow, here at TATAME, the exclusive interview with Thiago Alves.

How is the preparation for the next fight?

It’s great… I still have nine weeks for the fight, but I’m ready for tomorrow if I needed. I’m doing a good diet and my preparation is fucking great, couldn’t be better.

How do you think will be the fight?

I’ll knock him out. He’s tough, goes for the fight, and that’s what I like, come right to me. He brings a lot of pressure for the fight, a strong pass, and I wanna see if he handles my pass too. My intention is always a knockout.

Will you fight like you did against Matt Hughes or you prepared something different this time?

I’m preparing something different... He developed his stand-up game, I’m looking forward to exchange some punches with him, to show him the difference between a Striker and somebody that just learned it now. I’ll wait and work on his mistakes too.

After this fight, will you finally face Georges St. Pierre for the WW belt?

Yes. We had a press conference last week and went to Chicago , and Dana (White) said that who wins this fight will get a title shot. Is kill or die now!

Were you expecting a title shot after you knockout over Hughes?

Man, I were expecting that, but UFC always does this type of things… I had my fight, put me on media, grew my image and now I’ll have to beat another one to sell more pay-per-view… I expected this type of thing too…

How would be a fight between you and GSP?

It would be awesome. I respect him a lot, he’s a good person, a gentleman, don’t keep saying shit about the other fighters, and is complete. He’s a huge Striker, has a good Wrestling and Jiu-Jitsu, but I believe I’m a better Striker than he is. With all respect, I bet on me.

Did you watched his fight against Jon Fitch?

Yes, I was there and it was a hell of a fight. Jon impressed me a lot because he kept until the end, but I expected more from him… He’s tough, but St. Pierre was better, but he didn’t impressed me neither.

Which was Jon Fitch’s mistake?

He waited too much, and GSP is great on strategies and put him down on the beginning. He works well on the others mistake. When you see a guy like him on TV you create this image in your head, and it can’t happen… You both are humans, has two arms and two legs, and up there is only you, God and no one else.

Which do you think would be GSP’s strategies against you?

I don’t think too much and what will be my opponent’s strategies against me, but he’d probably wouldn’t stand with me and try to put me down. He would try to do everything, and I’m ready for that, I want that, because it’s all about me, I control the fight.

BJ Penn said he’d like to face St. Pierre … What do you think about that?

BJ is great, man. I’m a big fan of him, he’s a phenon. On the first fight (between them), BJ got tired, but he was doing well. I think it’s great, I wanna fight the best and it would be great to face him. Win St. Pierre and then BJ, I don’t wanna nothing more in my life (laughs).

How do you think will be Thiago Silva’s fight with Lyoto Machida?

It’ll be a great fight. He’s a great fighter and is training hard… UFC will watch one of 2008’s greatest fights. I’ll be there and Thiago will win!

How are you doing your weight cutting now that Andre Benkei left ATT?

Benkei left ATT because he had too, he wasn’t well here, but I’ll continue with him. Where Benkei is, I’ll be with him. He will continue with some ATT athletes and now he’s a freelancer, he can train whoever he wants and it won’t be a problem. I support him, but I’ll continue at ATT.

No comments: